My name is Bailey Smith, I am a fourth year undergrad student in the faculty of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences and I am majoring in Animal Science. My studies have been specified particularly to Nutrition and Reproduction, with focus on Equine and Dairy. I love what I learn in these classes, and I am always eager to learn more. One class I am taking is ALES 204, for which I am required to blog about what communication means to me in my field of study.
In my field of studies, communication is very important in many different circumstances. Although I am not interested in the area of research, it is very important to my field of interest, and communication is especially important in research. In research and in animal science, one may have the most accurate and intriguing theory in regards to how something works, what should be changed or improved in a process, or how something should be done, but if they cannot communicate their ideas then these thoughts are useless. Ideas need to be shared with the scientific community to receive validation, credit and to be further investigated. Communication is also important for many of the animal science majors that will find careers as anything from sales people to vets. Communication in the form of speech, writing, body language and presentations with customers, clients and coworkers is essential in order to be successful in any of these areas. If one cannot translate and express their positions, thoughts, ideas, feelings or knowledge, then operations of any kind would be nearly impossible.Currently, in my studies communication is equally important to my success. For example, my ability to communicate difficulty understanding material to my professor ensures I receive the help I need. Also the ability to write papers, tests, or blogs such as this one, illustrates to my professors that I am understanding the material, that I am participating in the assignments, and ensures that I receive credit for the work I put in. My experience with communications and my ability to communicate has drastically improved throughout my time at the university through the classes I have taken and the efforts I have made. For example, in my first year English class, I had a professor question if English was my second language in response to my first writing assignment; obviously both this professor and I were in need of some better communication skills. However, I don't think I would have the same issue today. In summary, communication is vital in all aspects, and in many forms in my field of study and as a student.
In my field of studies, communication is very important in many different circumstances. Although I am not interested in the area of research, it is very important to my field of interest, and communication is especially important in research. In research and in animal science, one may have the most accurate and intriguing theory in regards to how something works, what should be changed or improved in a process, or how something should be done, but if they cannot communicate their ideas then these thoughts are useless. Ideas need to be shared with the scientific community to receive validation, credit and to be further investigated. Communication is also important for many of the animal science majors that will find careers as anything from sales people to vets. Communication in the form of speech, writing, body language and presentations with customers, clients and coworkers is essential in order to be successful in any of these areas. If one cannot translate and express their positions, thoughts, ideas, feelings or knowledge, then operations of any kind would be nearly impossible.Currently, in my studies communication is equally important to my success. For example, my ability to communicate difficulty understanding material to my professor ensures I receive the help I need. Also the ability to write papers, tests, or blogs such as this one, illustrates to my professors that I am understanding the material, that I am participating in the assignments, and ensures that I receive credit for the work I put in. My experience with communications and my ability to communicate has drastically improved throughout my time at the university through the classes I have taken and the efforts I have made. For example, in my first year English class, I had a professor question if English was my second language in response to my first writing assignment; obviously both this professor and I were in need of some better communication skills. However, I don't think I would have the same issue today. In summary, communication is vital in all aspects, and in many forms in my field of study and as a student.
No comments:
Post a Comment